“. . . earthy, solid song craft. It has a gentle but solid groove. It inspires. It mourns. It carries the listener through a range of emotions, always engaged and entertained. . . . a knack for telling a story that is simple, deceptively personal and universally understood.”
"This record is the quintessential 'Nashville Skyline.' Listen up!"
- Bradshaw Lambert, GBL Media Management
- , managerEagles Songwriter Jack Tempchin
"Michael ONeill just loves to rock a ballad."
- Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Guitarist & Producer, The Doobie Brothers, SteelyDan
“ Michael ONeill signs with
"Crucial Music Los Angeles "
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT
2014 release by Michael ONeill
11 New Songs + Bonus Track
Sleeping Trout Music 2014
Singer/songwriter, producer, radio host and road warrior Michael ONeill is on tour supporting his new release I LIKE IT LIKE THAT, the fifth independent album by this Americana/Roots songwriter with a distinguished history, an impressive music pedigree and deep roots in Los Angeles, Nashville, Austin and Seattle. A native of the Pacific Northwest, ONeill's music is a seamless blend of Rock, Country, Folk and Americana. He has been compared to such eclectic talents as Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, Don Henley, Lyle Lovett, John Hyatt, Bonnie Raitt, Ryan Bingham and Townes Van Zandt.
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT is a deeply personal diary of ONeill's inner journey and his introspective take on the challenges of life, love and loss. His moving and expressive voice is pure, honest and revealing. Engaging melodies and masterful musicianship support his voice and poetic lyrics. On the tests and trials of love, ONeill unflinchingly poses questions which are as painful to ask as they are to answer. Whether sweetly acknowledging the stirrings of new love (WHEN YOU COME AROUND, LET IT RAIN), offering up a testament to fast women and the pleasures of seduction (REAL DEAL, I LIKE IT LIKE THAT), sharing the poignancy of a relationship unraveling (LOVE LAID BARE) or openly heartbroken on the cusp of loss (JUST GOES THAT WAY), ONeill's songs are as honest as they are vulnerable and as hopeful as they are resilient. An artist who writes love songs to cities and states as well as people, COLORADO is pure ONeill Americana. Whether celebrating friends, love and life on the road (RAISE A GLASS), expressing concern and compassion (RUNNING OUT OF TIME, FEEL HER HEART BREAK) or trusting that life is unfolding as it should (ON TIME), ONeill is a strongly original voice among West Coast singer/songwriters.
* Eleven new songs have been brought to life with a stellar group of A-list Los Angeles musicians including Tony Braunagel, Johnny Lee Schell, Dean Parks, Doug Pettibone, Bob Glaub, Mike Finnigan and the voices of Teresa James, Julie Delgado and Kevin Fisher.
* Their collective credits include Stevie Wonder, Taj Mahal, BB King, Bonnie Raitt, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Diana Ross, Journey, Jackson Browne, Lucinda Williams, Crosby, Stills & Nash and Bob Seger.
* At the age 24, ONeill's first tour was with the then unknown band U2. He was signed with legendary manager Don Arden and a record deal followed.
- Michael continued touring with the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bob Weir, Tommy Tutone, Little Feat and others.
- Michael cut his musical teeth writing songs with Steve Cropper (Booker T and The MG's), Bob Weir (Grateful Dead) and Jason Scheff (Chicago).
- In addition to five albums on his own indie record label, ONeill has brought his seasoned craft to writing with world famous producer John Shanks.
- This new recording “ I Like It Like That “brought together Nashville's Don Gallardo, Jabe Beyer and Mark Maynard, L.A. based Ted Russell Kamp, London UK writers Anthony and Kim Duke, Danni Nicholls and many more of equal stature.
- Michael ONeill has been featured in the Top 100 Americana Records as rated by The Americana Music Association's radio chart.
- “ I LIKE IT LIKE THAT” breaks new ground in this artist's long and well established career.
His music "carries a country/funk groove that sounds like someone rode a horse through a Motown studio."
- NY Times
Malibu California Music Company 23838 Pacific Coast Hwy #251 Malibu Ca 90265
Michael ONeill. Showcasing a new collection, this singer/songwriter with a “roots-rock” history and a soulful ease carries his listener into a time and place reminiscent of steel strings, guitar heroes, and great story-tellers like Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. A living music legend, ONeill comes armed with vignettes of open-eyed romance, highway drama, and hard-earned tenderness – vocalized with the assurance and attitude that comes only from experience.
One of 13 children, he got started in music early. At the age of 24, he cut his teeth opening his first tour for a then-unknown band called U2. By the time the tour ended in Los Angeles, ONeill found himself signed with legendary manager Don Arden (father of Sharon Osbourne). A record deal followed soon after. ONeill put together a band that featured a young John Shanks (now superstar producer of Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morrisette, Vertical Horizon, etc.), Kenny Gradney (Little Feat), and jazz saxophonist, Boney James. He spent the better part of the next ten years touring with the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn and penning songs with Bob Weir (Grateful Dead), Steve Cropper (Booker T. and The MG's), and Jason Scheff (Chicago). His band held down a weekly gig at the hottest club in town, The Central (now The Viper Room), playing to packed houses. As the '90s approached, ONeill left Southern California for his hometown in the Pacific Northwest to raise horses and focus on his family. “I retreated to gain some perspective and try to keep my family together,” ONeill says, “I did pretty good on the perspective part.”
Quietly working on material for nearly a decade, ONeill found himself happily remarried and content. In 1999, he released “Dream On” to critical acclaim, garnering nation-wide airplay. His current work, “From the Beginning” is an uncommon album that documents an artist in his prime, a man who knows himself, strengths and weaknesses alike. Part country crooner, part haggard storyteller, ONeill makes a noise that is refreshingly classic. Drawing on heroes like Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan for inspiration, “From the Beginning” plays like old-time rock and roll, deceptively simple yet focused on craft and execution.